African Natural History Research Trust
Job Advert – Research Taxonomist
Job title: Research Taxonomist
Deadline: Monday, 22nd July 2019 – 00:00.
Employer: African Natural History Research Trust, Leominster, UK.
Contract Duration: Permanent
Contract Type: Full Time
Salary: £25,000 - £30,000 p.a. Negotiable, based on previous experience.
The African Natural History Research Trust (ANHRT) is a charitable research trust and museum focused on African entomological biodiversity. Our research is aimed at increasing the scientific knowledge of African insects with an emphasis on Lepidoptera.
Working as part of a small team, this role requires an organised individual with experience of working with Lepidoptera collections. The successful candidate will be capable of conducting self and group-led taxonomic research and have a strong understanding of zoological nomenclature. The successful candidate will be proficient at disseminating their findings through scientific journals and other scientific outlets, identifying and recurating parts of the collections as required whilst ensuring collections are safeguarded in line with ANHRT collections management protocol.
We welcome applicants with a broad understanding of Lepidopteran taxa. Candidates with specific knowledge of the following Heteroceran families would be preferable but candidates with expertise in other families will also be considered:
Noctuidae, Erebidae, Lasiocampidae, Bombycidae, Limacodidae and/or Microlepidoptera.
- Relevant undergraduate degree
- A proven ability to initiate and complete relevant research projects with national and international collaborations
- Previous experience of undertaking scientific research projects. This can be working as part of a team or individually.
- Draft publications and prepare them for submission to refereed journals
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A clear understanding of taxonomy and a knowledge of the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature
- An ability to organise multiple assignments with minimal supervision and in response to deadlines
- A high level of attention to detail with a commitment to accuracy. This will be coupled with an excellent level of manual dexterity.
- A proven ability to undertake specimen dissections and genitalia preparations
- A full driving license and own car
- Relevant PhD or equivalent work experience
- Specialist knowledge of Noctuidae, Erebidae, Lasiocampidae, Bombycidae or Microlepidoptera
- A willingness to travel in the UK and abroad for short or long periods as required.
To apply for this job:
- Document A – ANHRT application form, this must be completed by hand.
- Document B – Curriculum Vitae
- Document C – Cover letter, within your cover letter please indicate how you are suitable to the role advertised
- Document D – List of your relevant publications